Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Make Your Own Spreadable Butter

I don't know about you, but I absolutely hate using real butter because it tears my bread. Don't get me wrong, I love the taste of it (I mean, who doesn't?!), but it just frustrates me beyond belief when my bread breaks in two while I try to butter it up. And I know there are debates, but I am trying to make a better effort to use things that are made from natural products; margarine is man made, cholesterol free or not. And the spreads? Those are even worse than margarine. So I was left scratching my head. But then, I found a solution. A few years ago when we were visiting Drew's parents, we ate dinner with their pastor, and the pastor's wife introduced me to making your own spreadable butter. It uses real butter and grapeseed oil, and is SUPER easy to make. Grapeseed oil is actually one of the best oils you can consume (you can read more about it on wikipedia).Wanna know how you can make your own spreadable butter? Well then read on. And dare I say, "It's so easy, a caveman could do it!" (That is, if a caveman could find grapeseed oil).






What you'll need:
IMG_2251
2 sticks of softened (I leave mine out to get to room temp) butter. You can use salted or unsalted. To me, the more salt the better, so I get salted :)
IMG_2253
1 cup of Grapeseed oil. You can find this at your local natural food store.

Now let's get to work

IMG_2252
Cut the butter up into chunks and put it in a blender.
IMG_2254
Pour the oil into the blender. And yes, if you think you are seeing green, you are. Grapeseed oil is naturally green, so your butter will have a greenish tint to it. At first I was kind of weirded out by this, but I've gotten used to it. Don't worry, you will too ;o)

Blend on med-high for a few minutes, till all of the clumps are gone. It will look like this:
IMG_2255


Now just pour it into a container of your choice. We use the ziplock containers that have screw-on lids.
IMG_2256

Let it chill for a few hours before you try to use it; after it's blended it's pretty runny, but will harden up to the consistency of the oil blend spreads that you can buy at the store. If you want, you could always substitute grapeseed oil with olive oil. I use grapeseed for the extra Omega fatty acids, which are some of the highest in any oils. The bottle of grapeseed oil costs me about $12, and will make about 4 batches at least.

If you make this, I'd love to know how it turned out! Happy butter making!


Photobucket
 

A Dollop of My Life Copyright © 2007 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger